Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Final Week of Treatment: November 4 to November 12

November 12 was my last day of the Low Level Chemo/Radiation treatment…yeah!!! We took pictures with both the radiation technicians and Dr Einstein and his nurse Kathy. Dr Einstein indicated that I had done extremely well through this phase of treatment.

I reviewed with him the visualization points I plan to use during the upcoming 6-week resting period that will be followed by higher level chemotherapy beginning in early January. What we came up with was prayer, meditation and visualization to:

1. Soothe and heal the normal brain cells that may have been inflamed or damaged by the radiation

2. Prevent any further radiation necrosis (death of healthy brain cells)

3.Encourage cancer cells to recognize that their DNA is now damaged and die

4.Recall the radiation and chemotherapy as healing energy

5.Support the white blood cells in continuing to surround and remove any remaining pieces of the tumor

6. Strengthen all aspects of my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing in preparation for the high-dose chemotherapy in January

Dr. Einstein had been at a medical conference recently and shared with us that they now have 4-year survival rate data for the new combination chemo/radiation protocol I have just completed vs. the previous treatment of radiation alone. He indicated that the 4-year survival rate has been shown to increase from 3% to 15%. He assured me that, as far he was concerned, I was clearly in the 15% group that would live at least 4 years or more.

An MRI scan will be done in early December and there will be check-up visits with each of the 3 doctors (neurosurgeon, oncologist, and radiologist).

Other interesting events of this week are as follows:

  1. Once again had lunch with my son. Getting together with him has been wonderful for me.
  2. Traveled to Michigan for an uplifting, inspirational meeting of Bahá’ís from Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan on Saturday. Many Cleveland folks chose to make it a long same-day drive. In order to not overtax my energy, we chose to drive up Friday afternoon, have dinner with our friends, Cheryl and Wade Schuette, with whom we celebrated my 56th birthday, stay overnight, and return home mid-afternoon on Saturday, instead of staying for the whole day. During the meeting, I was inspired to develop a call/response song and taught it to some of the other people. The “call” part is “Learning in action”. The “response” part is “The more we do, the more we learn.” “Learning in action” is part of the culture of the Baha’i community, and Susanne and I also adopted it as the slogan for the Marriage Transformation Project.
  3. I had been interviewed by a reporter from the Bahá’í National Center for a story to go on their website. It was posted.
  4. During my meditation time on Sunday, I was inspired with a new image of how I’m seeing the application of the Three Tools of Healing (Medical Treatment, Prayer, Joy & Laughter) to my journey.
    1. The image is of a bird in flight.
    2. The body of the bird is the Medical Treatment.
    3. One wing is prayer, meditation, and visualization.
    4. The other wing is nutrition, supplements, and exercise.
    5. Joy & laughter creates an uplift of wind under the wings.

It’s raising my spirits each time I envision this image!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Craig and Susanne,

I didn't think it was possible to love you both any more than I have for the past 30 years, but my affection and admiration have deepened to such an extent these past months that I am astonished. Thank you, thank you for sharing. You have benefitted me more than you know. Always, Vicki

Anne said...

Hi Craig,
Congratulations on the article on the US Baha'i website! You are a wonderful role model to people who are also struggling with their own difficulties in life. I liked that they also included in the article a reference to Hidden Gifts (which I quickly ordered). I've read a lot lately on the meaning of tests and difficulties, and I always find the analogies helpful about the transformation possibilities of difficult times. I've heard 'Abdul Baha quoted somewhere as saying to a beloved friend that he was glad she encountered difficulties in her life because it enabled her to grow spiritually, and even though he loved her he was happy she had these challenges in her life. There are countless examples in many spiritual traditions of this (Thich Nhat Hanh talks about turning garbage into beautiful flowers).

However, it's one thing to read about these concepts, and another to truly LIVE it. So thank you Craig for providing such an inspirational example. You are providing comfort and hope to others facing their own difficulties.

I'm sure not all moments feel spiritually uplifting, and heavy burdens are not easy to carry, so may you feel the love, prayers, and support of the community who cares for you during these times. Sending prayers and good wishes for healing and comfort to you and Susanne.

Anne

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story….

The blog was filling my need to write while I wasn’t able to work…now that I’m back doing books, my participation in the blog has dropped!

Actually this period has been a major shift for me. I’m no longer waiting around for Craig to die. The outcome for Craig’s life is in God’s hands, and there’s no point in me being stuck on whatever the statistics say might happen. Right now, the doctor is projecting that Craig is doing very well and has an excellent chance of living beyond four years. Heaven knows that we can get up to creating all kinds of things in that amount of time! We created the Marriage Transformation Project and published about 7 books in that time frame the last few years!

So, I’m very much in creative mode… Some of the current projects are:

- Character book for individuals
- Character book for couples
- Character book for junior youth/youth
- Character/Handbook for consent for parents – English/Farsi
- Empowering reconciliation for separated couples
- Infidelity prevention
- Strategies for maintaining marriage during illness

And getting ready for the workshops we are doing in December.

Of course I’m still very focused on Craig’s nutrition too…we really want his blood counts to be in great shape before high-dose chemo starts. The doctor gave me my cholesterol news and it’s dropped…must be the healthy diet! But, he said I’m still not doing enough exercise. We have been swimming 2-3 times a week, walking, doing ChiGung, and Craig’s been using the gym at the YMCA. Sigh…we’ll work on it. The arrival of winter here in Cleveland with snow and ice won’t help…

Susan said...

Craig,
It is so interesting to see your diet and high protein count which is about the same as mine. I'm a vegan but have added chicken to help increase the protein, plus brown rice and soy protein powder (with no additives). I was glad to see that Dr. Siegel has also influenced you. It became apparent when you shared your visiualization tool. I'm sure you won't mind if I borrow it. The imagery is perfect for me. I know these few weeks of "r&r" will give you energy and strength to put you on track for the next part of your treatment. Even though my supplements might be different from yours, I will be happy to send you some notes that I took during the nutritional oncologist visit ... I am already seeing results in my bloodtests. Email me if you'd like to see the notes. You and your precious caregiver are in our prayers. Daily.
with loving regards,
susan

Raphaella Vaisseau said...

Divine love floods my consciousness with health and every cell in my body is filled with light.