Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Week 4 of Break: December 4 to 12

We receieved the pathology report from Susanne’s surgery. It was benign…YEAH.

It was a week of visits with both the doctor’s responsible for my treatment as well as several alternative practitioners. As I noted in the previous post, on Monday December 3, I had my first MRI scan following the completion of the radiation treatment. The scan showed no visible tumor growth and the swelling in the brain continues to abate (YEAH!!). The primary lingering symptom I’ve been trying to get answers regarding is the neuropathy (more generic term for the numbness on my right side) symptoms. I received a variety of input on this:

  • The radiation-oncologist had expected to see some sign of swelling from the radiation treatments that would explain the continuing neuropathy symptoms. Not seeing this, he was unable to explain them.
  • The dietician at the Block Integrative Cancer Care Center provided a recommendation that I take l-Glutamine powder for sure, and potentially l-acetyl carnitine, alpha lipoic acid, and Vitamin B-6 supplements as well.
  • My clinical dietician at Ireland Cancer Center (University Hospital) agreed that l-Glutamine would be strongly indicated.
  • The hematology-oncologist indicated that it was unlikely that the neuropathy was from the chemotherapy and indicated that the Vitamin B-6 was a good idea.
  • Our chiropractor adjusted me, which helped relieve some of the numbness in my back and legs.
  • My sister, Nancy, did a session of orthobionomy on me, which immediately allowed me to feel full movement in all my right toes.
  • I had a further session with my sister’s colleague Jeanie Anderson. She does both Total Body Modification and muscle testing of supplements, etc. Her guidance about the supplements was that I tested positive for needing the l-glutamine and Vitamin B-6 but not for the other two supplements. She also tested how well my neurotransmitters were working and identified two that needed to be re-balanced, which she did. She is also treating me for fungus and bacteria that she is indicating are interfering with my total wellness.
  • The neurosurgeon indicated that the neuropathy was probably not so much cancer or radiation/chemo related but was more likely an outcome of the original brain surgery in July. He provided a referral to a neurologist to confirm this and see if there was anything further to do.
  • The conclusion of all this is that, in regards to the neuropathy I am: 1) taking l-glutamine and Vitamin B-6, 2) seeing the recommended neurologist on Feb 7, and 3) visualizing reduction of the neuropathy symptoms.

To have the further session with Jeanie Anderson, we traveled back to Pennsylvania (about 2.5 hours drive) and stayed with my mother. This gave us the opportunity for much more quality time together than we had at Thanksgiving. We also had a quiet dinner and visit with my sister, which was good to do as well.

In addition to all the above medical visits, Susanne and I also got to the dentist. He said my gums and teeth are in better shape than they have ever seen them. Must be all that good nutrition! Or maybe the radiation and chemo zapped all the bad stuff :).

On December 11th, we took a break from medical stuff and participated in a book signing at the Crooked River bookstore in downtown Cleveland. The store set up a table for us in the mall next to the door for the store. It was a bit tiring, and we didn’t sell very many books, but we had a good time interacting with people and taught Character Quality Language to about 20 people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

Ahhhh (primal scream)…..between doing my own surgery recovery, waiting for the biopsy results, worrying about Craig’s numbness, going to endless-long-high-concentration medical appointments, traveling back to Pennsylvania, trying to figure out the new health insurance plan options Craig has for 2008, doing the book signing, trips to the bank/UPS/post office, getting the handouts done for our upcoming workshops, dealing with a sore throat/earache, and participating in a very emotional support group meeting at The Gathering Place, my stress level is now over the top! I’m just plain exhausted. Jeannie checked out my adrenal glands on Monday…where stress shows up in the body…they were functioning at 50% of normal. Stress also sometimes shows up as an eye inflammation for me too, and that was appearing Wednesday evening. So, stress management and self-care is now a high priority for this week… This time I did the hot soak in the Dead Sea salt bath instead of Craig!

One of the challenges when we go to Jeannie is that we have to take practically every bottle of pills in the house--supplements and prescriptions--for her to check if they are working well in our bodies and working well together. When we see how many bottles there are in the bag, it feels very overwhelming! This time she actually said that she was concerned there were too many…so we are moderating our intake…again! She has also got us doing something called the “zapper”, and electronic gizmo that is supposed to fight the yeast/bacteria stuff. So many pieces in this healing process to keep track of!

I had the blessing of “running away” for a 2-hour lunch with my friend Melodie Yates on the Friday before leaving for Pennsylvania. Sometimes I just need a sanity-friendship break. It was very helpful. And…I also just needed to slow down a bit this week. Tough to do.

The neurosurgeon made the comment that Craig’s numbness may be a permanent resident. It may come and go in severity but may just be something he has to live with. We’ll keep doing various complementary treatments and see the neurologist…one thing we have learned in this whole journey is that often the medical staff have a more negative view of a situation because they don’t see alternatives. So, we’ll keep going and see how this all turns out over time.

The book signing was similar to the last one we did – low attendance. We aren’t really convinced that these are a good way to sell books. But, our distributor set it up, so we gave it a chance. I think mostly we were both just really tired at the end of it!

Susan said...

Wonderful overall news! Congratulations. I particularly like your process of consulting all different members of your "team" and then filtering out what will work for you both. Such inspiration for the rest of us. Thank you. "I bet of Thee, by the ocean of Thy healing, to purge me with the waters of Thy bounty from every affliction and disorder, and from all weakness and feebleness." -Baha'u'llah