Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

MRI Results - 9-17-08

Craig and I met this evening with Dr. Nock, his oncologist, and Dr. Sloan, his surgeon. They are both happy to see Craig making steady progress and improvement with regaining functionality. The doctors reviewed Monday's MRI images with us, particularly the area around where the tumor was removed. That area looked only slightly different from the last MRI, but not enough to draw accurate conclusions. The change in image could be swelling, healing tissue, still lingering infection, tumor, etc., etc. No one can say for sure. They are going to increase steroids slightly and have added a second antibiotic, but essentially they want him to stay put in therapy, not begin chemo, etc. (which would stop his forward progress in therapy), and wait for 3-4 weeks to ensure the infection is gone and that he has the most amount of time possible to regain use of his arm and leg before starting any treatment. An MRI will be scheduled to happen then, too. We go over to the Cleveland Clinic on Friday for a second opinion. The surgeon delegated removing Craig's stitches to his nurse - to now happen tomorrow. Craig now sleeps with a hand brace to help keep his fingers flat and not curled, and I'm to order him a shoulder brace to help keep his arm more supported. He did receive a pint of blood on Monday to improve his blood counts...that seemed to give him more energy. He enjoyed visits from his sister Nancy's children Zack and Holly on Sunday and Nancy's eldest daughter Nicole and granddaughter Sierra on Monday/Tuesday. My mom arrives tomorrow for few days. Love, Susanne

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for the continuing updates. I can only imagine the frustration of "not sure, could be". Leaving the chemo for later sounds like an excellent plan. Prayers surround you both.

Star Security said...

As someone with R.N. training I find myself being irritated with the "I don't know" response to whether the setbacks are from the drugs or the tumor. The only way this could be an acceptable answer is if knowing which would not change the course of treatment. If there are choices to be made, as it sounds like there are because of the reference to alering the chemo course, then the doctors need to know as much as they can about causes of setbacks BEFORE they recommend changes, and they should determine the causes immediately, not at a next regularly scheduled appointment. Secondly, where do I read more about fact-based spirit guided path? Thanks.