Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cancer Spreading; Hospice Begins, 2-14-09

Dear Friends: We are writing to share with you the news that we are transitioning to the next stage of our journey with Craig's cancer diagnosis. On Friday, our oncologist shared with us the difficult, although not totally unexpected, news that the tumor has continued to grow and has spread to the temporal lobe of Craig's brain. These MRI results explain why his speech and memory have begun to be affected in addition to the motor symptoms he was already experiencing. We made the decision for Craig to stop taking the anti-cancer drugs, since they were not effective, and we have now exhausted all treatment options.

The next stage in the spiritual and physical journey is focusing on preparing for the next life after this one, and our efforts will include using various hospice services as needed (http://www.hospicewr.org/). We will work in partnership with our care team to maximize Craig's quality of life. This will include some drug changes, such as increasing steroids to reduce brain swelling and help him to communicate. As you know, Craig's attitude has stayed positive throughout this journey, and this is not changing now. This approach has clearly strengthened his health and lengthened his life. The doctor continually expresses amazement at how good Craig looks, the quality of his life and choices, and the strength and effectiveness of our partnership in meeting this challenge together. (He commented during this visit that he wished he had been videotaping our visits to be instructional to others!)

Of course the length of Craig's time physically with us is very much in God's hands. Yet, we see that the sunset of his life here is approaching. We welcome your prayers and support as we go through the joys and challenges of the coming time. We will keep you updated as we can, keeping in mind that Susanne will be focused on Craig's care, but please check the blog as well for recent news: http://www.factbasedspiritguidedpath.blogspot.com/

With much love,

Craig and Susanne

p.s. Happy Valentine’s Day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending both of you the light and good thoughts.
-Natalie

High Desert said...

Craig & Suzanne:
You are both in our prayers during this time of transitioning. You are both courageous and steadfast and such powerful examples of how we can approach life's evolution. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We send our love,

Kim & David Douglas

Anonymous said...

Hola Craig,
This is Valentina from Chihuahua MX. I recently learned about your medical condition and to say that I'm sorry is the least. I understand what is said about your attitude because that's what always amazed me about you.
A friend here in Mexico sends you good vibes and prayers to you and your family.
Valentina

Anonymous said...

Dear Craig and Susanne, We don't know each other personally, but I am Susanne's Facebook friend and have been following your blog about Craig's tumor. I am a Baha'i and have a lot of experience with my family members being Hospice patients--my late husband, Frank, who had cancer in his liver and who was able to stay home with the assistance of Hospice, my mother who was assisted by Hospice in a nursing home, and my father, who also had a brain tumor and was cared for at the Hospice inpatient facility west of Akron, Ohio. I am writing to let you know that this care facility is fabulous and that my Dad was very well-cared for there with respect and love. If the time comes when you need to choose such a facility, I would highly recommend it. I don't know if it is the closest facility to you.
Also, my suggestion to you is to take advantage of any services that Hospice offers to you at home without any guilt or regret, and to ask your friends to have a regular visitation schedule, so Susanne can run her errands and have some extra time for relaxation. Love and prayers to you from your distant friend in Slovakia, Jan Wilson-Sheppherd

Anonymous said...

Craig and Suzanne,

I am sorry I have not written in a while but my prayers have and continue to be with you.

I ask God for peace in your life for the days ahead. You will be in my thoughts.

Diana Leigh

Unknown said...

I continue to be deeply moved by your strength. I join in the world of prayers for you from every direction: "Immeasurably exalted art Thou, O Lord! Protect us from what lieth in front of us and behind us, above our heads, on our right, on our left, below our feet and every other side to which we are exposed. Verily, Thy protection over all things is unfailing." The Bab. Tearfully, Heather

Mike said...

Craig and Susanne,
I’ve been following your blog for about a year now, and have cheered your victories and prayed during setbacks. Both of you are amazing pillars of strength and inspiration. Thank you for sharing this journey.

Michael H.