Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

October 6 to 10

Susanne’s brother Daved and his wife Arpi visited for the weekend from Toronto. They came with the intent of helping as much as possible and they sure did. Arpi cooked various dishes that are in the freezer for future use and assisted with various other needed activities, such as working with Susanne to get all the plants back inside for the winter. Daved and I got a lot of outdoor fall clean-up work done.

In preparation for our Monday meeting with the Radiologist and his nurse, we developed an additional set of questions for the nurse to ask me each week. She agreed to include them in the chart and update them each week…We’ve come to the conclusion that the medical staff is really getting to think that we’re not the average patient team…but that’s OK with us! Case Western Reserve University, which is associated with the hospital, is actually the birthplace of Appreciative Inquiry. It’s a method of looking for what’s going right instead of what’s going wrong. We just wanted a dose of that in my weekly checkup! We also provided Dr. Einstein and nurse Kathy Fox with a great cartoon about brain surgery that friend Martha Maclachlan mailed to us. So, we supplied some laughter this week too.

We received the first week’s blood test results on Tuesday. They showed my red blood cell/hemoglogin/hematocrit counts lower than the normal range, which we automatically attributed to the chemotherapy. The red blood cells being low would readily explain the tiredness I’m experiencing, because the red blood cells transport oxygen throughout the body. Susanne contacted our assigned hospital nutritionist Kim Ortega and was advised that the best thing to do for this situation was to increase my intake of iron and vitamin C, which we are now doing. The next day, however, we obtained the blood test results from before the chemotherapy began and back into August, and in fact, my numbers this week have improved over last week, not declined! It’s frustrating to discover that apparently my red blood cell counts have been low for quite awhile and no one told us. We will now reconstruct and graph my blood test results from the last year and watch them going forward weekly to observe trends. This was a good example of being careful about drawing conclusions without all the FACTS! In reflecting on all the foods that Arpi fixed over the weekend, they were high in both iron and vitamin C, so that may be where the improvement came from. But, we’ll keep fact-finding and observing what occurs…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

I’m a very capable person, and I’m very used to working independently. What I’m noticing on this journey though is the relief and love I feel when others are along with me as companions. It was just so lovely to have Dave and Arpi here for the weekend. It felt so good to go shopping with Arpi and cooking along with each other. She continued on her own when I couldn’t be there to help, too. My brother is always very supportive during challenges and crises. I appreciate having a big brother at moments like this. He even took over my lawn watering duties, and according to his wife, he doesn’t do yardwork (he’s a lawyer)!

As Craig and others have taken over much of the medical support work right now, I’m glad to have projects to still tackle like getting on the steep learning curve to learn about blood components and tests. Having a major illness in the family is sure increasing our medical knowledge base! I suspect that my blood cells are dancing with joy these days too…I keep eating all this good food right along with Craig. Between increasing our exercise, prayer, and meditation, as well as eating totally healthy food, we are probably in better shape than we’ve ever been (except for that little bothersome brain cancer item, anyway…).