Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Treatment Week 4: October 22 to 26

I was somewhat more fatigued this week and not quite as mentally sharp, but I have confidence that this will pass. Susanne has been doing such a terrific job with my nutrition and supplements that all the blood cell counts are staying stable from week to week. Apparently chemotherapy can often severely depress these, which is why they are checked each week. My wife is so wonderful!

The high point of the week was finally to have time with my son, David, on Friday that I have been looking forward to since August. We had many events occur in the meantime, including my second surgery, his second surgery, etc. I was dropped off at his house, by Matt Dunlop, who drove me to my radiation appointment. Dave and I went down the street to have lunch together. We shared with each other how the cancer and treatment process has been going for us and talked of many other things, particularly our relationship. It felt good to just be with my son!! We then went back to the apartment, where he lives with his wife and son, and Susanne came to pick me up. We all spent more time together, watching television and talking.

We had a frank conversation with the oncologist about the overall treatment plan as described in the September 19/20 blog posting. I noted that the September 20 MRI scan indicated that the swelling (edema) was significantly reduced and that there was no visible evidence of tumor re-growth. The plan is for another MRI scan to be done a month after the current phase of treatment ends on November 12. I asked if that MRI still showed no visible evidence of tumor re-growth, was the second phase of higher level chemotherapy, scheduled to start January 2, still indicated. He was very clear that the MRI would not be conclusive about the state of the cancer, and research indicates that the chemo will be necessary! I was disappointed, but I can accept the value of the fact-based clinical research behind his position. It is possible that chemo may not have to go the full 12 months as forecast, however. Originally the second phase would have been scheduled to start December 17. In order to allow us to go to Florida from December 20 to 27 (to speak at a conference and visit my step-daughter, Jennifer and her husband) unimpeded by the chemotherapy he had previously agreed that the start date could be moved back with no negative impact.

Had my final session of physical therapy. They indicate that my right front shin muscle is now fully functional. They provided a set of exercises that I should continue doing. It’s wonderful to have full use of my right foot back. However, I do still use a cane for some additional safety as I continue to experience numbness in the foot and leg.

I am continuing to work part-time at my job, mostly from home, which feels good. Since the daily chemo/radiation treatments take up most of the morning, and I’m needing to nap each afternoon, it is seeming like 8 hours or so a week is the best I can do. I hope to ramp that up to at least 16 hours a week after November 12, when radiation ends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

I’m glad Craig’s blood has been staying stable. And…I know that the prayers and his visualization are also significant factors, in addition to all those lovely leafy green vegetables!

It was good to see David and Christina on Friday. Aiden was napping…too bad. Hopefully we’ll get to babysit soon. We enjoyed watching a show about “alien” crop circles in farm fields and then teasing Craig that his new half-bald hairdo looks similar to some of the crop circle designs!

We tried out a new brain tumor support group at Metro Hospital on Tuesday. It was good to meet the organizer, who is doing well a couple of years post-surgery. She arranged for massages and Reiki energy healing sessions for everyone that evening. So, different than the sitting around talking kind of session elsewhere. We just still are not quite sure what we need in the way of a support group I think!

We had our monthly Spiritual Oasis devotional meeting one evening. One of the regulars has volunteered to host it next month…so we’ll travel to the next suburb over and spread the spiritual vibes!

I had a pelvic ultrasound test done due to some pain. Between a recent mammogram and that test I’ve noticed more concern about cancer showing up. There is no history in my family, so I’ve always regarded these tests as mere routine. Now, I notice a bit more anxiety. The good news is no signs of anything remotely cancerous looking. And…I may have to have some minor outpatient surgery for a non-cancerous growth that doesn’t belong where it is. So, we’ll schedule it for some time that Craig doesn’t need me to run around for his medical stuff (and get someone to drive me for a change)!

BTW, I understand that it’s a cultural characteristic of we Canadians to use exclamation points a lot! I just noticed that they are at the end of every paragraph (just picture me smiling every time I use one)!