Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Preparation for Radiology Begins September 19 to 20

We had our first meeting with the Radiologist, Dr. Einstein on September 19 and preparatory work got underway on September 20:
  1. He explained that the radiation portion of the treatment would be over a 6-1/2 week period of time with brief radiation exposures 5 days per week and a low level daily dosage of the chemotherapy drug Temazolamide (Temodar) (7 days a week). This concurrent treatment has been found to be the most effective for treating glioblastoma. This will be followed by a 12-month period of 1 week taking high-dosage chemotherapy and 3 weeks off of the chemotherapy.
  2. I came away from the meeting with a high degree of confidence in Dr. Einstein and am ready to get the treatment underway.
  3. Before the actual treatments can begin, the surgeon has to give final approval that the incision is completely healed and the IV antibiotics can be stopped. That appointment with the surgeon is set for Wednesday, September 26.
  4. Dr. Einstein indicated that the target date for initiation of treatment is October 1 if the surgeon gives his approval. Preparatory work got underway on September 20 with a further MRI scan and the fabrication of a custom mask that will be used to immobilize my head and target the radiation.

We met with the Clinical Dietician, Kim Ortega. She was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about working with us to provide the best possible dietary plan. She was aware of Dr. Block and was interested to see his recommendations.

We also met with the social worker, Jamie Hein. We had a wide-ranging discussion with her that covered issues such as available services, contingency planning, as well as mine and Susanne’s emotional and spiritual well-being. She also advised us that Metro General Hospital has a support group for individuals with brain tumors and their care-givers. However, it only meets every few weeks, so we will likely continue other support services as well.

I am continuing with my own personal preparation, with the foundation being spiritual (prayer, meditation, and visualization). Each day, I feel more and more empowered and ready to proceed with the treatment. We held a devotional meeting at our home on the 19th focused on healing that assisted the process as well. A friend from Michigan, Cheryll Shuette, brought us dinner before the meeting, stayed for the readings and prayers, and provided French Silk pie for dessert for all of us! (Okay, so it wasn’t on the dietician’s list, but it sure was good!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

We are being calm and purposeful about this stage of meeting with the radiologist and preparing for radiation. Once we made the decision that this was the best course of treatment to follow, we are now just doing what needs to happen to carry it out.

However, I will admit that I’m operating to an extent on healthy denial. If I think very much about what is about to happen, my anxiety does go up a notch and I want to grab Craig and run the other direction. Radiation beams directed at his head and brain does sound a bit scary. It is only the assurance that running away will simply give the tumor time to re-grow that keeps me going on this path.

It will be very interesting to see how this whole management of Craig’s diet unfolds. The hospital dietician said that they take a very conservative approach about supplements and food…and usually they are just glad to get patients to keep down any food at all. So, our approach of being quite focused on building up Craig’s nutrition prior to treatment and wanting to do diet management throughout treatment is not a common one for them.