Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Monday September 3 and Tuesday September 4

The leakage of blood and other fluid from the head incision continued throughout Monday and during the night, much to Susanne’s consternation. The home visiting nurse instructed her to put a thick pad on my head and tie it with a strip of gauze tied under my chin. Quite a fashion statement! Tuesday morning we called the hospital and got an appointment to see the surgical nurse. She looked at the incision, noted the presence of some cysts that she pressed on to discharge what she called serosanguinous fluid (containing purulent and bloody material), called in one of the residents for an opinion, and they concluded that there was no infection and that we need not be concerned. Within a couple of hours, all drainage had stopped. This was all a huge relief.

The nurse also indicated that I would be on the intravenous antibiotics for a minimum of 4 weeks (darn!!) and that initial discussion with the oncologist should take place soon. She was surprised that we had not already had this conversation because the Dr Sloan had already advised the oncologist, Dr. Einstein of my case. I was also advised that I could resume the out-patient rehab work and that they would be faxing the necessary paperwork.

On Tuesday, I returned to outpatient rehab and had another vigorous session focused on the right front shin muscle and increasing the overall strength of the right leg. I’m walking around the house without either the cane or foot/leg brace though. I just have to be careful to lift up my foot high enough that it doesn’t drag. I wear the brace and take my cane out of the house…although I keep forgetting about the cane and walking off without it when we are out.

I keep reflecting on how to approach this experience, and I’m consciously choosing to speak of having a diagnosis of Glioblastoma instead of stating that I “have” Glioblastoma or “have” cancer. The “have” becomes owning it, which can lead to being obsessed with or consumed by its presence. Having a diagnosis is a statement of fact that contains no ownership but is also not denial. I must acknowledge Hedy Schleifer for making this distinction clear to me in “Sacred Choices-Hedy’s Story of her Cellular Challenge with Breast Cancer” by Judie Chiappone [Note: She has great marriage-support materials too!].

On Tuesday evening, for the first time we attended the support groups (one for the patient and the other for family members) at the Gathering Place. In my introduction, I used the diagnosis vs. ownership terminology and it was immediately meaningful to many of the group members. I indicated to Susanne that it was a very good group, and I will find it to be a good place to find support in the future as things get tough. Susanne observed that in the last 6 weeks, I’ve gone through brain surgery, been diagnosed with Glioblastoma, returned to the hospital for repeat surgery due to infection, lost my driving privileges for 6 months, and my near-term potential for returning to work is low. Given all that, she was very surprised that I didn’t see reason for needing support right now. I agreed that I’d look at that and see what made sense to me for next week.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi Craig & Susanne, I discovered your blog a few days ago and I'm very moved by it. I admire your honesty and I appreciate being allowed to follow your journey. I especially enjoy your sense of humor and the photos. Please know there are folks out here rooting for you! I am an atheist so although I will not be praying for you, I will be sending you as many good vibes as I am able to. If you don't mind, I will pop in from time to time to check on you and say Howdy. Take care, Natalie

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

We are now smoothly accomplishing the IV’s. There are no needles involved…simply screwing tubes and injection vials onto a receiving port sticking out of Craig’s arm. No blood either! The rhythm of our days now is structured around the 2 hours each morning and 2 hours each evening when they need to be accomplished.

I’ve had mixed feelings about attending a support group. I attended Al-Anon for years for support with my previous spouse, so the idea felt like a step backwards. However, I am also humbly recognizing that coping with the changes that cancer is bringing requires assistance from others. It was good to meet fellow travelers on this road. We have good friends also attending, and this is a much-appreciated opportunity to spend time with them.