Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

September 27 to 29

On Thursday, September 27 we attended the Spirituality Group at the Gathering Place. It was refreshing to find a cancer patient/caregiver group that was focused on open discussion of the spiritual aspects of dealing with cancer. It began with a meditation about walking on a path through the woods with the autumn leaves falling and then a request that we share what the symbolism of letting go like the leaves meant to us. We felt very welcome, as newcomers, and shared extensively about our journey, which the group welcomed warmly. At this point, it’s a monthly session, and I’ve already made a recommendation to the Program Director that it be more frequent.

On Friday, September 28 we:

1. Had a visit from the Visiting Nurse who changed the dressing on my PICC Line, which has been used for the last month to administer antibiotics. We had hoped that the PICC line was going to be removed but that will happen next week.

2. Met my great-aunt, Jean Taber, for a delightful lunch at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. She is a long-time patron of the museum.

3. Had a final preparatory visit to the radiation oncology department at the hospital.

4. Visited the family physician to get a pneumonia shot. The doctors are focused on ensuring that I don’t become sick from non-cancer illnesses as the radiation and chemo affect my immune system. The oncologist has also prescribed an antibiotic that I’m to take daily for the next 15 months.

5. Watched the delightful movie, “The Last Mimzy”. Although on the surface this looks like a children’s movie it is really more than that and quite delightful. One of the co-stars, Rainn Wilson, is a member of the Bahá’í Faith.

On Saturday, September 29 Nik Tressler and I had breakfast together and took care of a number of errands I needed to do. Other than that, the day was wide open for Susanne and I to attend to whatever we chose to do…nice to have an open day! We spent a brief time sharing our fears about what is about to happen, but mostly focused on powerfully going forward. One of the milestones from the last few days is the encouragement from the physical therapists to begin walking without my foot/leg brace. We did our first neighborhood walk that way, and I’m happy to report that the numbness in my foot is receding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

It was good to participate in the spirituality group. We keep trying out different kinds of support activities with mixed feelings about them all so far. This one at least allowed space to connect God and healing together. I suspect there will be times when we are best off in separate groups for support, but at times it is also good to be together. We are facing this together. However, one good insight that came for me during the group was that I have been so connected to Craig’s journey that I’ve been saying things like, “**We** have radiation beginning on Monday.” So, good reminder that I’m supposed to be strengthening the quality of “detachment” as part of this journey! We speak to people of marriage being an emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual joining. So, it’s a question for me…how much of his experience is only his and how much is ours?

One phrase used at the group was “new normal”. The “normal” for us in recent weeks has been to structure our lives around the twice daily IV antibiotic infusions. The “new normal” for us will now be structured around 42 days of radiation and chemotherapy. Then there will be another “new normal” to adjust to. In part, I think it’s wording that simply gives the illusion that there are periods without constant change!

We had a brief upset over the bills and getting annoyed/angry at each other. However, the bills were just a surface excuse. We are neither of us prone to anger or angry interactions. I wonder if that’s bad or good. We both admitted that what we were really angry about was that Craig has to have chemo and radiation. Somehow it’s easier to be angry at having to quickly run the bank to pay a bill on time. But then there is never really any real expression of the anger and fear about what is about to happen. Is that wise? I go back and forth with resisting what is happening and accepting that this is God’s will for our lives right now. I’ve grown very accustomed to Craig the way he is. How will he be different at the end of this experience? How will we respond? I know, one day at a time…