Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Friday August 31 to Sunday September 2

Over the past 3 days, we’ve had several visitors and in between, launched into extensive reading of the cancer treatment resources and planning what we’re going to do. In addition, the twice daily IV infusions are now going smoothly with my handling all the setup procedures and Susanne doing the attaching, the purge syringes, and the IV connections to the PICC tube that was installed.

On Friday, Ruth Twaddell came by and did several errands and prepared a wonderful dinner for us. On Saturday, her husband Ban came by and washed, vacuumed, and waxed our car. We feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends.

On Sunday, my mother, sister, and brother-in-law came from Pennsylvania. They brought lunch, and we spent about 4 hours together.

  1. My mother really needed to see me to assure herself that I was OK. One of the resources we had obtained was a large document entitled the “Moss Report on Adult Brain Cancer”. I found the introductory letter so positive and inspiring that I read part of it to her and gave her a copy. It became clear in talking with my mother that there was confusion and extra consternation in the family about the Stage/Grade of my diagnosis. What the doctors have indicated is that my diagnosis is a Grade IV tumor, based on the high level of cancerous activity in what was removed. They also indicated that classification of Stage, where Stage IV means that cancers have often metastasized, or spread to other organs or throughout the body, does NOT apply my type of brain tumor.
  2. My sister is a healing arts practitioner (homeopathy, ortho-bionomy) so we had extensive conversation with her about the researching we were doing.
  3. My brother-in-law likes to be active, so he gladly fixed our guestroom door so it closes and trimmed a tree for us..

In the researching/planning we did the following:

  1. As you can imagine, we have accumulated a large amount of information from various people. We reviewed all of it and created classifications of 1) Diet, 2) Complimentary Alternative Medicine (CAM), and 3) General Glioblastoma. This helped to bring some order to an overwhelming pile of paper.
  2. We purchased the Moss Report for Glioblastome Multiforme, as mentioned above. This is a 500 page report that summarizes and evaluates the conventional treatment approaches as well as the alternative treatment and support approaches.
  3. We had a conversation with Susanne’s long-time friend, Brenda Maxwell Zagrafov, who is a family physician and incorporates a significant amount of alternative medicines in her practice. A key understanding I came away from this conversation with is a critical proviso when looking at research reports from conventional and alternative sources. Her observation is that all conventional research results will be stated in the most conservative manner possible and will generally also make very clear the side effects and warnings. The alternative research results will not necessarily be under such constraints and are generally far less researched. This came up because some of our initial reading was making us very leery of the conventional approaches. Brenda’s view is that in the future the natural approaches will be dominant, but for now in our imperfect world, often the best treatments available are difficult ones, such as chemotherapy and radiation. And…whatever we can do to pair alternative and nutritional care with these, is wonderful.
  4. We scheduled a 2-day visit at the Block Integrative Medical Center in Evanston, IL We expect to get second opinion from them on the appropriate treatment as well as guidance on the supplemental/dietary approach to use.

Unfortunately, shortly before bed my incision sprung a leak of sorts, putting Susanne into more intense nursing mode than she was prepared for. The saga of challenges with my head continues…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

I read about 600 pages of information about cancer, filling my head with statistics and options too numerous to mention. At times the odds against Craig living more than a few months felt like an overwhelming burden to know and attempt to overcome with optimism. At other moments I was encouraged by the various treatments that can make a difference for him. Our inquiry will be into what extends his life without a huge negative impact on the quality of his life. Not an easy puzzle to solve.

The gentle flow of visitors all weekend was a blessing. No one stayed so long that Craig got exhausted. We just felt touched by their love. And I so appreciate not having to cook and I really like having a clean and shiny car!

If you’d asked me whether it was in my job description as a wife to have to clean up my husband’s blood, I would have said no way. I’m baffled that it’s become a part of my life. After my initial, “O my God! You have blood all over your head and neck!” was done, what else was there to do but clean him up? And then clean him up again and again…