Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Craig in Rehab; Update 8-24-08

Friends: My husband Craig was transferred from University Hospital to Euclid Hospital Rehabilitation center (attached to Euclid Hospital) Saturday, August 23 (http://www.euclidhospital.org/AboutUs/Map/tabid/1035/Default.aspx). 18901 Lakeshore Blvd, Euclid, OH 44119 Craig is struggling some with fatigue and the side effects of the medicines (a little groggy, slight memory impairment), but overall he is in good spirits. He can now move his right thumb, so between that, increased dexterity of his left arm and hand, and using his mouth as a "third hand", he's managing to feed himself for the most part, shave himself with help, etc. The leg is also moving slightly. But, rehab will be an intense process for the next few weeks, both inpatient and then outpatient. Verbally and cognitively he is mostly fine, for which we are very thankful. Timing for calls and visits: During the day, Craig will be doing rehab, resting, and meals. It is best to reach him or visit 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the evenings or various times on the weekend (I don't know his therapy schedule for next weekend yet, but it is lighter than during the week). If you are uncertain about timing, then call him or me (216-383-9930). Calling: The number at Craig's bedside is 216-692-8752. He does not have the ability to put it on "do not disturb" and there is no way to leave messages. Right now if you talk to him he sounds very tired due to some lingering shortness of breath from the surgery. But generally he will welcome hearing from people. Simply ask him whether it's a good time to talk. Visiting: Craig is in room 28 on the second floor of the rehab center. He will be helped and encouraged by visits from people and encouragement with regaining functionality. Feel free to bring him snacks or whatever will cheer him up. He has plenty of more serious reading material and is propping books on the bed table and turning pages left handed. Craig very much believes this guidance from the Baha'i teachings: "We should all visit the sick. When they are in sorrow and suffering, it is a real help and benefit to have a friend come. Happiness is a great healer to those who are ill. In the East it is the custom to call upon the patient often and meet him individually. The people in the East show the utmost kindness and compassion to the sick and suffering. This has greater effect than the remedy itself. You must always have this thought of love and affection when you visit the ailing and afflicted." 'Abdu'l-Baha We are hopeful that he will soon be able to be moved from his bed into a wheelchair. Visitors can then wheel him to the living room, to the view of Lake Erie, out to the healing garden, etc. So, feel free to ask him and staff if you can do this. Please make sure he has a full water bottle first. Seeing Craig over these weeks in the rehab hospital and talking to him will be good for him and for those of you who wish to see him. In October/November as perhaps the tumor grows back and perhaps treatment options are resumed, it may become more difficult. So, I encourage those of you who can to see him and be in touch. There is no estimate yet for how long he will be there, but certainly 2-3 weeks seems likely. Love, Susanne Susanne M. Alexander

1 comment:

Mike said...

Susanne,
Please tell Craig that I pray for him daily. In July while on pilgrimage I was able to pray for him in the Holy Shrines. I hope he has a complete recovery.