Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week of Chemo #6 Accomplished!: August 4 to 10

The side-effect symptoms associated with the Temodar, that I mentioned in the previous post, became somewhat more pronounced while taking the drug this week. I was significantly weaker than I have been, along with some difficulty walking. I didn’t go to the office Thursday and Friday due to the weakness, fatigue, and constipation, but I did work a couple hours from home each day.

A couple of times I experienced pre-seizure-type activity. My chest would begin to quiver but I was able to control it with relaxation and touch as I described during the hospital stay for seizure activity in February. So, I didn’t need to take extra medication, which was good.

Susanne did fix a couple of new food items this week sweetened with agave (sweetener from a cactus plant) to appeal to my sweet-tooth without adding sugar into the diet. One was strawberry sorbet and the other was banana-date nut bread.

On Tuesday, we had a new garage door installed to replace the one from 1956 that came with the house and no longer worked.

On Friday, 8-8-08, We thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics opening ceremonies….awesome and very dignified. The opening drumming was particularly moving. Those of you who know what our TV is like and that we never watch TV will be amazed that we actually sat and enjoyed the fuzzy performance!

On Saturday, I had a mini-reunion with guys that I was in an Astronomy Club with during high school (during the 1960’s). Turns out that two of them, who are still involved with the club, one currently acting as president, had been recently wondering whatever happened to me. A few days later, I found one of them on FaceBook. He was pretty surprised! Back in the 60’s (the club started in 1963) we were just a bunch of high school guys with telescopes. They have since purchased land and built an observatory, which I’m looking forward to seeing. We were supposed to be stargazing together last night, but rain dampened the event. I was having difficulty walking, but the park had a wheelchair, so Susanne pushed me around. We saw a makeshift indoor planetarium show, visited with the guys a bit, and headed home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

Monday for me was an annual medical checkup with a doctor I’ve seen for about 15 years. He knew about Craig’s situation and spent a few minutes compassionately checking in with me about how I was doing emotionally and let me know he was always available for support. Nice! A number of people in my support group are on anti-anxiety or anti-depressant pills, and he asked me whether I felt the need for them. We agreed not now. I told him I appreciated his asking me and not just writing out the prescription.

Support group was difficult this week…at least three people with loved ones close to dying. One of them died yesterday…glioblastoma patient. Different from Craig, of course…less operable and all that, but still too close to home.

Thursday morning was a bit scary. Craig was too weak to even carry his breakfast and lunch trays out to the back porch to eat. It’s hard watching him walk so shakily right now, too. He’s back showering downstairs where there are bars to hold onto, and we are having bars installed upstairs in the shower next week.

By evening, Craig was well enough for me to leave him resting and go to Toastmasters, since I had a role and he didn’t. I was “Topicmaster” for the night, the person who asks people to speak for 2 minutes spontaneously on questions that I throw at them. The theme was “Dog Days” (a term used to describe this very hot time of the year.) You can also use any related questions/topics you can come up with, so, these were some of my choices!:
1. Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" – Tell us of a time when the weather or something in nature affected your personality and responses.
2. Dogs were sacrificed in ancient times during this period of time. Now instead of sacrificing animals or people, we tend to sacrifice by volunteering time, money, or objects. What is your understanding of the value of sacrificing and how do you do it in your life?
3. Tell us about your favorite dog or other pet…how old were you when you got it and describe your relationship with it.
4. Carla Genender wrote a book called Dog Sense in which she gives relationship tips that dogs remind her of. Please comment on her relationship advice of “Be enthusiastic when he asks you to join him” and how this could be like a relationship with a dog.
5. Carla also says this advice, “Listen when she talks to you”. How is this important in a relationship and how is this like a relationship with a dog?
6. If you are feeling “dog tired”, what do you do to revive yourself?

So, it was a fun break in chemo week.

Friday Craig was also stable enough to leave, so I slipped away for a few hours to my retreat center in the country to work on the next book (for parents who want to help their children have happy marriages). Then Saturday, it was clear that the walking at the park was too much, even with his cane. I was very glad they had a wheelchair, but it definitely felt like a step backwards to have him in it.

It was also fun to do a bit of baking this week…I quit doing that a long time ago to help Craig with watching his weight. Now he needs fattening back up! And, overall it was a calm enough week to get quite a few hours in working, so that part of life went forward, too.