Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Craig Learns to Fly, May 25, 2009

Okay, I’m starting to recover from caregiver meltdown last week. Our hospice nurse, Craig, and I have been in brainstorming mode trying to figure out how to not burn me out and wreck my body. And how to keep Craig home instead of down the road in a nursing home. As Craig is becoming harder and harder to transfer (As testimony, there’s an array of bruises on his posterior from landing on the arm of the wheelchair), we explored whether to confine him to bed. The decision was “not yet” – and we got him his own personal flying device – a Hoyer lift. See photos:

www.claricomm.com/CraigFlying.jpg

www.claricomm.com/Craig-Annie-and-Hoyer-Lift.jpg

Craig’s initial response the night the lift device showed up was complete resistance. I got very frank about an “attitude adjustment” – it was let the lift stay or he could consider either being bedridden or moving to a nursing home! Now he’s decided it’s fun…in spite of my challenges driving the thing and operating three separate controls on it! He also agreed to an increase in the steroid dose, which is helping him talk better and making bathroom transfers easier and safer.

Over the last few days, it became clear that I could no longer safely transfer Craig in and out of the shower either. Hospice is now providing a daily nursing assistant to bathe him in bed and get him dressed and up in the morning. That’s very helpful.

I was able to get to a massage therapist and chiropractor on Friday and then had a respite day on Saturday. Unfortunately, friend Nik Tressler then got stuck with our ongoing saga of Craig’s digestive system. He took Craig out for a nice breakfast. On their return home, diarrhea and vomiting both hit simultaneously – thankfully in the bathroom. They blessedly cleaned it up and didn’t call me, so I continued on with resting and relaxing and dealt with it from 4:30 to midnight instead. We are trying to determine whether one of the medicines is causing this…that’s our best guess at the moment. Craig’s getting very tired of rice, even though I’m varying his diet with rice cakes, cooked rice, baby rice cereal, rice milk, Rice Krispies, Rice Chex… It’s getting broken up with bananas and applesauce, too! So, we hope to resolve this very soon…

Craig is talking about it being “disorienting” that he is wandering between this world and the next one. He says it’s “weird” and it’s “easy to go, hard to stay.” We talked about the possible wisdom of this transition taking time, being gradual, and at times being difficult. He painted three pictures this afternoon about wanting to be with the angels and about the angels “singing beautiful, clean, and clear.” It was the first I knew that he had heard the angels sing.

We hosted our weekly study circle tonight and began it with a brief memorial service for relatives of the group who had passed away. Craig shared about two of his “angel guides”. We used a beautiful CD of music called “Fire and Gold” by Elika Mahony (www.elikamahony.com) – heavenly. We then began studying the section in our book about “Life and Death”, so Craig’s experiences kept coming up all evening.

Every day now is different. Routines are virtually non-existent. Two days lately, our morning couple prayers happened at 9 or 10 at night. I’m getting better at eating while Craig is sleeping and not waiting for him to wake up. I have to be vigilant to not miss doses of pills – both his and mine. There is a stream of people in and out of the house at a time when Craig just wants peace and quiet…but unfortunately, that would mean me doing everything, and that’s not possible. So, we cope one day at a time doing the best we can.

Love,

Susanne

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Craig and Suzanne for sharing so generously your journey through this process. I also experienced a very beautiful journey with my father years ago who embraced the news of cancer taking him away quickly with such enthusiasm and excitement it surprised all around him. This is a very special time and what a gift to share these amazing little glimpses into the next world with friends. I send you both love and prayers!

Susan said...

That CD by Elika Mahony is one of my favorites. I have a group of special songs on my i-pod (Craig singing Thy Name is My Healing) is now there, along with some of Elika's, one by Julie Walker, two by Mary Davis, and Grant Hinden Miller. Music is definitely food for this soul.

Thank you for the continual updates. Prayers daily for both of you.
love,
s

Elika said...

Thank you for appreciating our CD, 'Fire and Gold'! I would love to send you the new 'Birds of Love' gift set which includes the book and CD. Please email me your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail for you as a thank you when you answered questions when we were compiling the quotations in the book.