Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Numbness is Spreading, Books are Growing, May 13, 2009

Much to our amazement, it’s now been three months since treatment stopped. The original forecast was that Craig living more than two months would be amazing. So, he continues to astound.

Craig calmed down somewhat today, and that actually seemed to help him communicate better. He was also able to sing more words, which apparently comes from a different part of the brain, so some phrases came through more clearly. I was able to read to Craig new parts of “The Journey” book about his life and some from the latest one on the Fact-Based, Spirit-Guided Path, and he was able to indicate his approval and some input.

Kim Klein, our hospice nurse, checked Craig out today. She is trying to get a speech therapist out to help us with some communication techniques. Craig’s blood pressure, which was fairly high for him on the weekend, was back to normal. However, we discovered during the exam that numbness is now spreading down from the right side of Craig’s face, where it has existed for months, into his right shoulder and down his torso, front and back. We assume that this is linked to spreading of the tumor through the left parietal brain lobe.

Tonight we watched the movie “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner”, about an interracial couple in 1967 wanting to marry. It was a movie we had both seen before, but we enjoyed seeing it again and being amazed that in our lifetimes, such a marriage went from being illegal in many states to now when someone who could be their child is President.

Susanne

4 comments:

Susan said...

How blessed you are to have each other, to figure out ways to communicate and how to show your love. I have such admiration for both of you. Prayers continue each day.
with love,
s

Jane P. Ives said...

Oh my dear friends, how poignantly you share your journey. How beautifully you model being present to what is, painful though it is. May you feel yourselves borne up on "eagles' wings."
Love and prayers,
Jane and Cliff Ives

Johanna said...

Praying for you both and continually inspired.
Love and love,
johanna

Susan said...

The CD has arrived and it is wonderful. I am moved to tears by your reciting Thy Name is My Healing, Craig. Thank you so much for so deep touching my heart. I so enjoy the arragement and the material for Arising to Serve. I have seen pictures of Craig's flutes, but of course never heard him play.

My love and appreciation to you both. This CD is a great gift to us. Thank you for yet another blessing.