Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tough Day, May 20, 2009

Craig and I have agreed that I won’t get too graphic on the blog. Some days that’s a tough agreement to keep!

The diarrhea from 10 days ago turned into constipation and the treatments for that turned back into diarrhea in bed about 4:30 this morning. While trying to get up, Craig ended up on the floor, and we needed the firemen to help get him up and help me with him. Then the cleanup. Then the hospice nurse. Then more cleanup. Done about 9 a.m. Tried to sleep, but the neighbor needed to edge his lawn for an hour, so a nap later worked instead. Upon Craig waking up, we discovered that adult diapers are more made for old women with small bladders, not Craig. So, the bed got changed twice today.

It’s times like these that it’s harder to take my own advice and say “O God!” instead of “O s—t!”! We got through it all with perseverance, tears, prayer, and gratitude. I said to Craig at one point that at least it wasn’t as bad as the prison in Akka! Baha’u’llah, His family, and many early Baha’is in the 1870’s (I’m bad at history, so the date’s approximate…) were banished to there in northern Palestine(now Israel) for being too spiritually popular in Iran, Iraq, and Turkey. There was no water to drink or wash in, no food, high heat, foul air, cramped in small rooms, illness, and more. At least we have hot, running water, supplies from hospice, firemen and nurses to call for help, rubber gloves, diapers, and washing machines!

The rest of the last few days have been fairly quiet. A highlight was Thursday night’s cancer-spirituality group where we talked about labyrinths, a meditation/prayer tool that helps people center themselves with God. On Sunday, we went to one at Ursuline College, about 20 minutes from our home. I pushed Craig in his wheelchair around the path, and we made it to the center for some prayer. Here is a link to a photo so you can better see what I’m talking about.

The angels have been back visiting Craig a couple of nights in this past week. Mostly the same people, but Bill Fountaine was new. It’s amazing how many people we know who have passed on to the next world! Quite a crowd to greet Craig!

Craig is sleeping more these days. He’s had a couple of days where he has slept until after noon. I get lots of writing done, but it’s strange to keep adjusting to when to do meals and other activities. His legs are getting weaker – I’m often now pushing his wheelchair around the house instead of him using his legs to get around. And he has an infected spot on his “good” leg that we are treating. But, we are still successfully transferring him from here to there…most of the time!

So, we keep going…one day at a time.

Love,

Susanne (and Craig)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Craig and Susanne,

I love how you both always take the glass half full outlook on life. Hang in there, friends!

Much Love and Blessings,

Sylvia