Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cornmeal Mush and Artwork – 4-5-09

Craig and I are developing a unique blend of fill-in-the-blank efforts and charades to accomplish communication as his speech deteriorates. He still understands most things and recognizes everyone, but the expression of thoughts is often a challenge. Friday morning he woke up thinking about a food from his childhood that he wanted me to fix but couldn’t tell me what it was. He was able to tell me that Bob Evans restaurants serve it, however. So, John Dare, our caregiver for the day, looked up the menu on the Internet and read it all to him until they figured out it was cornmeal mush he wanted! Having no idea it was a childhood comfort food, I’ve only served it about once in our marriage…make that now twice!

On Saturday morning, I began sorting through a pile of memorabilia that I’d set aside weeks ago. Included in the pile was a large portfolio that I hadn’t looked in at the time. It turned out to contain artwork that Craig did (and some I had done, too) during an Art as Prayer class taught in 1999-2000 by Barbara Trauger-Querry, who is now our hospice art therapist. We had forgotten about the class and the artwork, and the pieces are wonderful. Many of the paintings Craig did to illustrate poetry that he had written. It’s amazing to see that his style was very similar to what he is now doing left-handed in art therapy. Craig has gone through the paintings multiple times all weekend, savoring the fruit of his creative expression. I’ve re-read his poetry to him as well.

It’s been a quiet weekend for us, with lots of couple time. We had multiple visitors on Friday – Jon and Aunticlare Rezin from Los Angeles, Jennifer Rezin Botte and her daughter Gabrielle from Columbus, and Shamsi Modarai and boyfriend Rickie from Toledo. Jon (who works on the American Idol TV show) helped us with some of the production work on Craig’s new CD and spent time “jamming” with Craig on Friday. It delights Craig to see some of the young adults who grew up with his children or at youth conferences he staffed and who we have watched grow up into wonderful adults. We had no visitors Saturday. Two friends/practitioners did Reiki sessions with us today, and a neighbor dropped in briefly. Craig is now talking about appreciating having more quiet, meditative time again.

Craig woke up on Saturday having lost the partial use of his right leg that he did have. So, we have turned the steroid level that was ramping down back higher again. The more we keep the brain swelling down, the better his quality of life, so it just is the way it is.

I know everyone would like to see some photos – we are overdue to post some. We are having server problems. I’m working on it…

Love,

Susanne

2 comments:

Judy F. said...

I loved hearing about the artwork, and the cornmeal mush. Mush is great. They can charge more for it in the stores when they call it polenta. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I visited with Craig, yesterday. We meditated together and afterward Susanne suggested that I might like to see Craig's artwork and poetry. It is so very beautiful and filled with spiritual insight and wonder. I was also given the CD of Craig's music, which is very so enjoyable to listen too. It was a very special lunchtime visit with Craig and I am so grateful for it.

Thanks so much, Craig and Susanne.

Love,

Sylvia