Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Physical Energy Dips; Spiritual Energy Soars – 4-15-09

For two weeks, Craig has been riding on a wave of energy and filled with creativity. We have matched up his collection of about 20 paintings from 1998-2000 with his poetry and have some kind of book creation underway with it (with the help of our art therapist from hospice). He’s newly created about 25 additional abstract drawings and paintings, many of them with small inserted eyes and smiles. He describes them as “fun” and “happy”. Our home is filled with music. We’ve given away about 60 of the CD’s we made for Craig’s honoring/funeral service, simply asking people to ignore the statement on the back about the CD being in honor of his passing and for them to enjoy the music!

Our home feels pulsing with love. Oh, there are moments…when the phone rings one too many times (no don’t use this comment as a reason to not call!), or my rest time is filled with difficult discussions with friends, or I start crying at a sentimental love song the music therapist sings, or there is some unexpected hassle to deal with. But then, tonight we watched the DVD movie “August Rush” about love and music, and Nik stopped serendipitously with daffodils and hugs, and life balances out. We were also blessed this past weekend with Craig’s family driving in from Pennsylvania with Easter dinner.

The last couple of days, Craig’s physical energy began to dip. He’s sleeping more and having a bit more difficulty walking. His speech has become harder to understand, much to his frustration. Sometimes I just cannot figure out what he is trying to say. For the first time, he is beginning to lose the names of those close to him. Today he asked me to read him the eulogy he wrote for friend Kevin Clavin, who died in 1994. Craig is confident Kevin will be one of his “spirit guides” on into the next world. Someone to show him where the bathroom and gas station are! One of his paintings today began to depict the re-opening of the next world to him. (But we have clear instructions from Craig that there is to be no “fussing” happening around him about the possibility of dying!)

I often wake in the middle of the night and tiptoe downstairs. I stand in Craig’s doorway and listen to him breathe. There’s such comfort in hearing that sound. I say a prayer for him, and then I tiptoe back to my own bed. And try to resume sleeping. I’m so very tired. But happy too. I said at support group last night that much to my surprise, the last four months of “funeral planning” have been among the best times in our marriage. Spending more time with family and friends, connecting with long-lost friends, reading love letters and journal entries, reflecting on the course of our relationship, gathering and playing Craig’s music, singing, enjoying photographs, creating art…so many gifts enjoyed together.

We are remembering that we recently passed the one-year anniversary of our attending a weekend for Exceptional Cancer Patients (ECAP) and family in Meadville, Pennsylvania (www.ecap-online.org). Craig clearly links the quality of his cancer journey to Bernie Siegel’s ECAP philosophy as outlined in Love, Medicine, and Miracles. Craig is clearly an Exceptional Man, too!

Love,

Susanne (and Craig)

3 comments:

clark said...

Craig and Susanne, you're both exceptional! Craig...I hope that photo I sent brought back some memories from the island....those were some good times! The good times, the memorable times, and the special times will present themselves to you....and to all of us, God willing, in our next step through the plan and the purpose.

clark

Raphaella Vaisseau said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your journey, love and light with us all.

Elika said...

Dear Susanne, your combined blog is SO precious and so very moving. Thank you for sharing your vulnerabilities with others. I am amazed at your strength! Thinking of you both and sending prayers your way.