Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Live or Die? April 9, 2009

Craig did not die in late March as he thought he would. On March 31, when he was fed up with everyone “fussing” about his potential passing, he declared he wasn’t going to die that week after all. The angels that had begun visiting him in his bedroom at night disappeared and haven’t returned since that day. He’s feeling better now that the steroid level is back up, so he looks good, has good appetite and energy levels, and is back walking some. However, he has been in an intense, frustrated, baffled struggle trying to figure out whether he is supposed to live or die. And if he is continuing to live, what does that look like and what is he supposed to be doing, anyway!

Over the weekend, the Reiki practitioners had him back thinking about living, and he began talking about the possibility of having a “spontaneous remission” (although he has a very difficult time remembering and saying the words!) On Monday, in response to his frustration, I asked Craig if it would be helpful to do a pro/con list for living and a second one for dying, which we did! His conclusion was that either choice would be potentially good… But, it did seem to free him up from the confusion in his head about it all. We maintain a calendar on a marker board in our living room. Every Monday is “SC” for study circle. Every Tuesday is “SG” for support group. Now, Craig has designated Wednesdays as “SR”—spontaneous remission focus days. A visitor then said Thursdays should be “SJ” – days for spontaneous joy!

Over the weekend, Craig had seemingly lost the ability to sing the short Baha’i healing prayer that he has sung regularly for 15 years. I didn’t realize how painful this was for Craig though until Ginny, the music therapist from hospice, joined us on Monday and he broke down crying in telling her about the inability to sing. She was able to cause a breakthrough and get him back able to remember the tune. He has been able since then to still sing it, sometimes with me singing along with him. So, he’s very happy.

Monday was also an emotional day as my daughter, Jennifer, began having contractions, with her baby not due until July 15th. The doctors got labor stopped, and after a night in the hospital, we are grateful to report she is back home and on bed rest for a few days. One silver lining - it was a thrill on Monday night to hear the baby’s heartbeat over the phone, as a fetal monitor was attached. One of the tests in our circumstances right now is that it’s virtually impossible for me to leave Craig to see Jen, as she and her husband Frank live near Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a 3-hour plane ride away, and she is also on travel restriction.

Our oncologist Dr. CJ Nock and his nurse Sandy Dye stopped by for a “home visit” on Tuesday. They had expected Craig to be on his deathbed by now and were amazed that he was up and wheeling himself around the house in his wheelchair and looking great. They continue to be special members of our team. Craig thinks CJ and I should write a book about some of our experiences. Time will tell… Kim, our hospice nurse, also checked Craig out yesterday, and all vital signs are normal.

So, I’m back grocery shopping and we are enjoying each and every day. We have been giving away Craig’s memorial music CD to visitors and simply asking people to enjoy the music/Craig’s singing and ignore the message on the back cover that says his soul has passed on! We are doing our best to trust that Craig is in God’s hands and that there is a larger plan at work for Craig that will manifest as we go through the next period of time. Is the tumor growing and spreading? Is it shrinking? Will Craig live for awhile longer? Will he die soon? Literally, God only knows…

Love, Susanne (and Craig)

3 comments:

Susan said...

Whatever happens to Craig's physical body, he is alive in all ways in my heart and mind. Eckhart Tolle says "live in this moment." You both are!! Everything else is imaginary. Thank you for sharing your journey. I hear your song!


love and prayers,
s

Karen Schulman said...

I have been following your blog, Craig and Suzanne, and think of you often. Sometimes I read poems that take me beyond the 'everyday' and help me on my own journey. This morning I re-read a poem by Antonio Machado, entitled "Last Night as I was Sleeping." A phrase from this poem struck a chord with me and seems to relate to Craig's wonderful flow of creativity. It called to me to write this to you:

"I said,: Along which secret aqueduct,
Oh water, are you coming to me,
water of a new life
that I have never drunk."

An interpretation after this phrase, by Roger Housden, says that "the origin of the spring is not in your own heart; its waters are carried there by some secret aqueduct from a source beyond all your knowing."

It is with this thought that I send our love and energy your way. We are thinking of you.

Love,

Karen & Joel

Johanna said...

Wow.
Wow.
you two are an inspiration.
an inspiration.
thank you for sharing the journey.
from now on, i think i will sing the healing prayer in Craig's honor.
love love love,
johanna