Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Final Stretch – June 30-July 1, 2009

Since it’s now July 5th, I’m looking back and the details are already blending and fading, but I want to share some about the final hours of Craig’s life here on this plane of existence.

We had occasional times of men visiting Craig and being with him for periods of time during the day or evening, including Craig’s son Dave. However, at night it was women accompanying Craig. We referred to ourselves as midwives (Michelle, Leah, Holly, and I) and it felt very much as if we were creating Craig’s room as a warm, loving, caring space for him. We stroked his head, massaged his feet, held his hand, put cold cloths on his forehead, adjusted his covers and pillows, and saw to his comfort as much as possible.

As you know, we stopped giving Craig morphine on Monday evening. He stayed essentially pain free in his head from then on. However, on Tuesday evening various issues began to arise. He seemed to be having more active seizures/tremors happening that caused him to be reaching for his face and head and potentially hurting himself. His legs and hips were more restless. We had Tammy, one of the on-call hospice nurses come to the house to help us assess how to ensure Craig was safe and as comfortable as possible for the night.

Tammy helped us pad all around Craig with towels, sheets, and blankets. We put a thick comforter on the floor in case he had a seizure bad enough to fall out of bed. We put a sock on his hand to protect him from scratching his eyes. She gave us normal saline to gently put in his eyes, as dehydration had left them dry. She gave us swabs for his lips and mouth to soak in his favorite liquid (Mandarin Orange Spice tea). We then met as a team to discuss how to handle the nighttime issues that could arise, how to recognize signs of death, and what to do when he passed. We then felt more confident and empowered by having specific tasks to do.

As Tammy was finishing up, we received a telephone call from Debbie Boyd-Tressler, who had been intuitively communicating with Craig. As you know, we had backed way off from interacting with Craig the previous night – little touch, very quiet, and so on, even though his eyes were often open. We were concerned about interfering with his process of letting go of this world. Debbie shared with us that there was nothing we could do that would interfere with his process, that he was filled with joy, and that whatever would make us happy was great for him. So, we touched him, played music, sang, prayed, and interacted with him all night! What a joy!

Once Craig had fluid in his eyes, he stopped reaching for them. We figured out that his hand was reaching for his head because his hair hadn’t been washed since Sunday morning and his head was itchy, so Michelle used the no-rinse shampoo and got his head clean and “scratched”. He then calmed down and quit reaching for his head. His auto-adjusting air mattress had been deflated since the power outage, and sciatic pain was reoccurring (he hadn’t wanted the mattress turned back on). Once we got it restarted and pain ointments rubbed into his back and hip, the leg and hip restlessness stopped. The major seizures we expected at the end did not happen, and all our ministrations calmed his whole body down. It was an amazing experience in effectively reading and responding to his body language!

I had a long stretch of hours with Craig by myself. As his breathing began to change around 4 a.m., I woke up Holly and then the girls and we spent a couple of hours with him praying and playing music. We put on the CD of Craig’s music and sang along with it. Kim Klein, our primary hospice nurse came in before her shift at around 5:30 a.m. and checked him. She had to leave at 7:30 a.m. for a staff meeting and told us that it would still likely be a few hours. So, the girls and I went to bed for a bit and left Holly at his bedside.

Around 8:30/8:40 a.m. Craig’s sister called and woke me, so I checked on him and was assured he still was “stable” and not yet exhibiting the end-of-life signs and so went back to bed. Within minutes, I was called to immediately come to Craig’s room. Instead of a gradual stopping of breathing, his heart and breathing seemed to simply stop, and we noted his passing around 9 a.m. We also noted how appropriate it was that he died on July 1st, Canada’s independence day, since I was born and raised there! We then spent about 30 minutes praying and saying our goodbyes. We called the funeral home and Kim to come. Craig’s son Dave headed over to the house to have his time to say goodbye. He had been in to visit each day but left the night shifts to us. He arrived expressing how happy he was that his Dad was now free.

Love,

Susanne

No comments: