Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Graveside Service – Lake View Cemetery – July 3, 2009

The morning of the service, I awoke to the sound of rain at 6 a.m. The forecast was for sunshine, so we had not ordered a tent covering at the graveside! I sent up a quick prayer for the storm to wander off, and at the time of the service, the skies were just overcast but not raining, thankfully.

Craig and I had not particularly planned the graveside service other than choosing Dustin Dornbrook to read the Bahá’í Prayer for the Dead. When it became clear that there would be close relatives unable to attend the funeral and only be at the graveside service, I delegated planning of the service to Michelle and Leah. They asked people to sing and play music, which was beautiful. There were additional prayers/comments offered spontaneously as well. A number of friends were also able to be there who had missed the service the night before.

I had a few moments of private farewell at the casket at the end. We all chose to leave before the burial…enough images in my head without that one added as well. You can see photos of beautiful and historic Lake View Cemetery at this link: www.lakeviewcemetery.com.

The video recording of the graveside service is attached at the end of the one of the funeral service, if you wish to watch it. Go to www.dejohnfuneral.com and click on Craig Farnsworth’s name. The video is under the Memories link.

As far as I’m currently aware, this posting is the completing one for Craig’s blog. It’s been a blessing to be in touch with so many people globally through this medium. Your prayers and spiritual/emotional support have meant so much to us. Watch in the future for our book on empowered ways to journey with cancer. Please keep me and our children in your thoughts and prayers as we go forward.

Love,

Susanne (susanne@marriagetransformation.com)

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Suzanne,
Goodbye and good luck to you and your family. I'll keep sending you the light from time to time. I know Craig's journey is over but, in some ways yours is just starting again. If you choose to blog for yourself, please consider posting a link on this blog (I subscribe via RSS) so we can follow your path.
Kind regards,
Natalie

Cheryll said...

Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us who love you, but are too far away for hugs...

Heidi said...

Dear Susanne,
I send my love and prayers for you and your family that the Blessed Beauty continues to cradle you in his arms during the challenges ahead now that Craig is in the spiritual realm. Your generosity of spirit during your heart-wrenching ordeal has given me courage during my own journey, and I am sure has helped many others around the world who have remained silent observers. We are all one family in reality. I hope that you find joy and lightness of heart in the life ahead.
God bless you,
Much love,
Heidi Reid, Mt Barker, South AUstralia xo

Karyne said...

I never met Craig or Suzanne except through this blog (and the marriage book) but I will miss you both. You have been a part of my life. thank you,
Karyne Hyde, Azores

Karyne said...

I don't know Craig or Suzanee except through this blog (and through the marriage materials) but you have been a part of my life and I will miss you both. Thank you, Karyne Hyde, Azores

Susan said...

Dearest Susanne,
I will definitely look for your book and I hope you know that prayers will continue for you and for Craig.

with much love and admiration,
s

Susan said...

Oh great suggestion, Natalie - please let us know if you start another blog.