Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Honoring/Funeral Service Day, July 2, 2009

In the morning, Holly’s daughter Renee drove me to the cemetery to arrange for Craig’s burial on Friday. We just had to go to the office, not the family plot, so few emotional triggers – more like a business transaction.

A team of people began doing setup at 3:30 p.m. at the Slovenian Society Home where we had rented a hall for Craig’s Honoring Service. He didn’t like the word “funeral”, even when I pointed out that the word “fun” was in it! Since our focus was on honoring him as a person and his service accomplishments, “Honoring Service” was what we chose to call it. I was so grateful to have trustworthy friends and family doing those tasks so I could relax and not arrive until time for things to begin at 5:30 p.m. Craig, I, and the kids had decided not to do a formal receiving line. However, there was often a line that formed near me when I stood still! It was wonderful to greet so many dear friends.

Knowing that I would not be able to write effectively about Craig at the time of the end, I began writing my tribute to him months ago, read a draft to Craig then, and then edited it every now and then since. Members of our Toastmasters group greeted me before the funeral (they had canceled the meeting that night to be there), and I admitted that I hadn’t practiced my “speech” out loud or memorized it. They assured me no one would be evaluating my grammar or delivery that evening! Here is a link to the document of what I said: www.claricomm.com/SpouseTributetoCraig.pdf

Craig’s three children did a tribute to their Dad – with eloquence from the heart and many tears. We went through the family photos months ago, and they put together a wonderful slide show to display to everyone after they shared. (You can see it on the video – see details below.)

Craig’s best friend Nik Tressler had been working on his tribute to Craig for months as well. He had the opportunity to read it to Craig on one of his many visits to our home. I really acknowledge Nik for being open with his love for and grief about Craig. He arrived at the lectern with a roll of paper towels in hand for his tears! You can read Nik’s tribute to Craig at this link: www.claricomm.com/FriendTributetoCraig.pdf

At the end of the service, the pallbearers carried Craig out. Unexpectedly, the funeral director invited me to accompany them down the aisle – yet another difficult “good-bye”. I wrote a note to myself the following morning: “How many times and in how many ways will I have to say good-bye to him?”

The funeral home is testing a new service of taping and webcasting funeral services. Since this option is new for them, they offered to do Craig’s for no charge, and Michelle and I instantly agreed. With close family and many friends unable to attend due to pregnancy, short notice, and it being a holiday week, we were grateful to offer this and thereby include more people in viewing it and reaching “closure” with Craig’s passing. There is a link on the funeral home’s webpage - www.dejohnfuneral.com - to information about Craig and his honoring service and graveside service that will be available for quite a while. For only the next 90 days, however, you can watch a video of the funeral/honoring service and graveside service. Craig Farnsworth’s name is listed on the home page, and you link to all information from there. The written program is at the View Obituary/Notice link and the video of the service is at the Memories link. Please advise the funeral home or their video service if you have any technical difficulties (in other words, not me!)

The service began at 7 p.m. and was followed by refreshments, so it was around 11 p.m. by the time Holly and I got home. Michelle and Leah dropped off memorabilia and other things by midnight. So, Holly and I got into bed by 1 a.m. A very late night! But a blessed service for all of us.

Love,

Susanne p.s. Bless my computer support folks who have been teaching me how to do multiple complex maneuvers on the road that are allowing me to do this stuff from Mom's in Canada! Yay!

No comments: