Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Celebrating Life and Facing Death; 3-15-09

The gathering held last Sunday to celebrate Craig’s life, which many referred to as a “farewell party”, was absolutely wonderful. Generous friends created the occasion and hosted it, so Craig and I were able to attend simply as honored guests. We estimate over 200 people streamed in and out enjoying the delicious food, photographs, flowers, and socializing. At the same time, a continuous line of people approached Craig for a precious few minutes of connection. He started greeting friends at about 2:20, and the line finally finished up around 5 p.m. Craig’s employment with Radix Wire ended as of March 1st, so we joked about this also being his “retirement party”!

We felt that the diversity of the friends and family who came were beautifully representative of the unity Craig has dedicated himself to creating throughout his life. Bahá’ís, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and others I’m sure! Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Iranian, French, and many others. Family came from various places. Friends came from Toastmasters, workplaces, marriage community, our neighborhood, Landmark Education, cancer support groups, and more. But the overall theme was simply LOVE! In abundance.

Craig slept for two hours after the event and recovered his energy over the following couple of days. He is still attending the all day therapy at Euclid Rehab on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He continues to lose speech and memory, but overall is very peaceful and still enjoys being with those he loves. One of the party visitors stayed with us and recorded Craig’s favorite prayers on his MP3 player, so that is wonderful for him now that reading is much more difficult. Another visitor this week was Barbara Trauger-Querry, a long-time friend, Bahá’í, and our art therapist with hospice. She got us both painting and exploring where we are right now…transitioning, growing, grieving… We met with our hospice spiritual care person, Aimee, for the first time as well, sharing with her the Bahá’í views on life after death, so she can support us with those.

It’s been a mixed week for me – the stress of dealing with a myriad of legal and financial tasks has been ever-present. If I had it to do over again, I’d have hired a financial planner when Craig first got sick. It’s definitely harder dealing with things now and wondering about all the possibilities for how to support myself once Craig’s disability income ceases. But, denial of the reality won’t make it go away! Friday was my 53nd birthday, and that was a peaceful, loving day. At the end of the day, Craig and I shared phrases from our love letters and had time together. Good news came this week from my daughter Jennifer that her baby is healthy, growing normally, and a GIRL! Giuliana (pron. Juliana) Alexa DeMaria, likely due around July 15th.

So, we are spending quality time with one another and those we love, both family and friends. When Craig rests, I do as well – at least briefly! – and then tackle my endless to-do lists until he awakes. We often sleep late and eat whenever we feel like it. Last night we watched the movie Fireproof, a powerful and moving drama about marriage. This afternoon we sat out in the driveway in the sunshine with a friend--spring has been early this year. And, we just take life one day at a time.

Love,

Susanne

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was such a joy to see you...words cannot explain....

love, clark

Catherine said...

I am glad that you're both able to continue contributing (each in a different capacity) to this blog to keep us all informed. It's inevitable that we all experience illness and health challenges (of varying degrees), either in ourselves or others, and reading this blog has really helped me learn more about a healthy way to approach the more serious health issues. Personally, I think that I will be more prepared to deal with similar serious situations in their own lives. I know that this blog was immensely helpful to me when my dad was first diagnosed with colon cancer (he's still recovering from some serious chemo side-effects now) and I'm very grateful for that.
Anyway, you're both an inspiration - keep on keepin' on, and our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

How are things now with you both? What can you say about your faith in your path?