Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Craig Amazes Us Today – June 25, 2009

Hospice and I are somewhat in crisis responder mode – suddenly stopping steroids and anti-seizure meds without tapering is not the usual pattern. So, all night and day we have been wondering what consequences were going to emerge. Instead, Craig was awake and alert practically all day from fairly early in the morning. Lately he has been sleeping most of each day, so this was a big change. His speech was clearer and he actually came out with phrases and sentences instead of just an occasional word. The congestion in his lungs improved, and the coughing significantly decreased. His kidneys were functioning better. His appetite was good, too. So, quite baffling, but very nice!

Craig is now on a soft diet that can be easily swallowed, so I made applesauce this afternoon, one of his favorites. For the first time in a couple of decades – at least – I also made some pudding so he would have a non-dairy version (less congestion). So, we are experimenting with what he can eat and what tastes good to him.

Tonight Craig tried to communicate some more complex matters, much to our mutual frustration. I understood from him that the angels are still doing their “pre-visit” and “preparing” him. They helped him feel better today. And they want us to do three things. Unfortunately, that’s where the communication broke down and all I got was “Let us begin”! The angels are apparently still the same crew, however at some point recently Craig also saw ‘Abdu’l-Bahá (son of Bahá’u’lláh, the founder of the Bahá’í Faith).

So, we have had brief visitors, read, listened to music, interacted with the hospice nurses, reaffirmed with Craig that he wants to continue to stay off the drugs, and wandered through the day. I got out to the grocery and post office and had a nap in the middle as well. It was 90 degrees, so we were shut in the air conditioning all day and then we turned the computers off for a couple of hours while thunderstorms came through. The night nurse is now on duty, and the plan is for me to sleep upstairs again and leave her to help Craig. I got up once last night as needed, but otherwise slept well.

Each morning, our lead nurse visits and we will re-evaluate our need to have someone here continuously. It is too soon to stop it yet. One day at a time…

FYI, some have expressed interest in the quotation I recently posted about Bahiyyih Khanum. Here is a link to the whole article about this amazing woman.

www.claricomm.com/Bahiyyih_Khanum_Tribute.pdf

Love,

Susanne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry the world was a better place with Craig in it. L. Chad