Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Craig’s Physical World Narrows – June 20, 2009

Craig has spent almost a week now exclusively in bed and in his room. Each day we have asked if he wants to get up, but we will now probably stop asking. His wheelchair is now folded up in a corner, and the parts of our home that were moved to accommodate it are moving gradually back into place. The TV is now outside his doorway so we can watch a movie with him in the bed. It’s a weird transition—not wanting to assume he’ll never get up again, and yet seeing that he just doesn’t have the energy to do so either. The nurse and I yesterday moved his bed so he has a better view out the window and all of us have better access to care for him from both sides of the bed (it was against the wall). I’m beginning to give the caregiver some days off, because there just is not enough to do.

Craig’s vital signs are constantly changing. Heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature are all ranging above and below normal daily. His lungs are more congested, so I’m doing breathing treatments more often and occasionally cough syrup when the coughing is making sleep impossible. He’s generally eating two small meals daily. It’s clear that Craig just wants to sleep and wander in spiritual space, so having physical interventions (bathing, breathing treatments, pills, etc. etc.) are a test. I often simply sit at his bedside and hold his hand…or simply let him sleep (and keep checking whether he’s breathing!).

Craig’s mother and sister drove over from Pennsylvania yesterday for a lovely visit. They had not been able to be here since Easter/late April, so it was good to see them. Betsy, Craig’s support group leader at The Gathering Place, also came for a visit with him yesterday. Music and Art therapies were both canceled this week, but he’s still open to them happening next week…we’ll see.

It’s becoming harder for me to leave Craig for any length of time. I’m wondering too much what is happening in my absence, and he seems to need me close by. I am still taking occasional breaks though – got to the grocery (he’s enjoying the cornmeal mush again), dentist (no cavities), and massage therapist (lovely) this week.

Love,

Susanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Susanne and Craig,

Thanks for the visit with Craig Friday. I was so very pleased that he was so comfortable and gently drifting in and out from here to somewhere else and back. I was appreciative of the quiet time with him and happy to sit next to him and hold his hand in peaceful silence.

Love and Blessings to both of you.

Sylvia

Unknown said...

Susanne and Craig,
It's so hard to read about your current journey--my heart breaks! But I keep you both in my thoughts and prayers and know that it is good (for both of you) to be traveling this road together.
Be blessed and at peace.
Julie Bock