Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Medications Stop; 24-hour Care Begins; June 24, 2009

For the last while, Craig’s medications to keep treating one symptom or another kept increasing, instead of decreasing. When the proposal came to us this afternoon to add one more that would keep his lungs and heart functioning, we entered into a consultation with our hospice nurse. Craig is on a high enough dosage of steroids at this point to be very clear in his understanding and clear in his brief responses. He has emphatically indicated that he wants all primary medications stopped.

We were also at the point today where he could no longer safely swallow pills and we would need to crush them and put them in applesauce, pudding…

Hospice licensed practical nurses will now monitor Craig on a 24-hour continuous care basis here at the house to watch for and help us deal with seizures, brain swelling, pain, and so on. We have plans in place to respond as appropriate and needed. He is okay with us administering medicine for pain and to calm his coughing – comfort management only.

He spent the last 2 hours listening to spiritual music and is now peacefully resting. Because he’s already had his full dose of steroids today and his morning anti-seizure medications, it is likely that it will still take some time for both reactions to the absence of medicines to set in and his body to actually start to shut down.

The hospice spiritual care person was here this afternoon and gave me a Reiki treatment after the decision was made…that was helpful. I’m doing my best to stay calm and centered and know that all of your prayers are what is helping hugely.

Much love,

Susanne

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Susanne and Craig, your courage, wisdom and steadfastness continue to shine. Be assured that the prayers of unknown people such as myself, as well as your family and friends will continue to surround you.
God bless you both,
With much love,
Heidi, Mt Barker, South Australia

Anonymous said...

Dear Susanne,

You and Craig are in my constant thoughts and prayers during this very sad and difficult time. I am sending out my love to you both...heart to heart.

God Bless you both!

Sylvia

Julie Rosser Iraninejad said...

Dearest Susanne,
You both are in our deep prayers and I am starting today to say the Tablet of Ahmad each day for you both. Please let me know if there is another prayer you would prefer or that I could add. I could do the Long Healing Prayer too. May you both be held in the embrace of Baha'u'llah and feel His love surrounding you during this difficult transition.
With deep love,
Julie

Judy F. said...

I am holding your hand(s)and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Natalie said...

My thoughts are with you both. I wish for you both as little suffering as possible.

4EverStriving said...

Dear Susanne,

I put in a prayer request at the Baha'i Temple and received the following:

Please be assured of prayers for Susanne & Craig under the sacred dome of the Mother Temple of the West.

With love,
The Bahá'í House of Worship Staff

RLB said...

Susanne - our prayer and love are with you both.
Roya Bauman

Constance said...

Susanne my thoughts and prayers are with you and Craig at this time. I want you to know what an impact the two of you have had on me as I follow Craig's journey. Love and blessing to you both.
Connie

Unknown said...

Dear Susanne,

I will be praying for you and Craig in the Wilmette House of Worship. May you feel comfort in Baha'u'llah's all-bountiful, loving embrace.

Jaque