Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fever and Coughing – June 16, 2009

The rest of the day yesterday was difficult in many ways. When the hospice nursing assistant and I tried to get Craig out of bed with the lift, he slid out onto the floor (gently). So, we needed the local helpful firemen again to get him into bed. He then chose to spend the remainder of the day in bed.

In the early evening, he began coughing, and breathing treatments, cough drops, Vicks Vaporub, etc. etc. didn’t stop it all night. Finally by the third breathing treatment around 5 a.m., the coughing stopped and we got some sleep. The hospice nurse came and checked him during the night and discovered that he is now running a fever. She ordered cough medicine for him in case we need it from now on, too.

Craig has run a fever all day, although Tylenol is keeping it down somewhat. He ate a piece of toast and some blackberries is all. While it’s possible he has an infection, it is more likely that the tumor is now affecting his ability to maintain a normal temperature. Bonnie Schaefer, a friend from my support group bought and brought me a new humidifier for Craig’s room, since that is helping his breathing. Our old one was way too loud! I caught a 2-hour nap in the afternoon while Craig slept. He has again spent the day in bed.

Our friend Bob Horn stopped by this afternoon and was able to get Craig to laugh a little with his stories. He asked Craig if he is “bored”, to which Craig quite clearly responded that he wasn’t. The spiritual part of this adventure is keeping him interested! John Cunningham is coming this evening along with the caregiver so I can go to my support group. Last week Craig got so sad about me leaving, that I thought having a friend here might help.

Hospice at this point is saying that Craig has fairly extensive healthy physical reserves, so it is taking time for his body to actually shut down. It will likely (not guaranteed!) be a gradual process. Craig and I together with the nurse decided to keep him on the higher dose of steroids, because the swelling in his head and neck is becoming more uncomfortable.

Love,

Susanne

2 comments:

Julie Iraninejad said...

Dear Susanne and Craig,
You both are very much in my prayers right now and I wanted to let you know that even though you don't know me, I know you through your work with the Marriage Can Be Forever Book that my husband and I studied before we were married. I would like to send you a CD of Baha'i Writings set to music which I did a few years ago. I hope that it will be of comfort to you. If you can send me an address to send it to, I will put it in the mail right away. My email is juliarosa9@yahoo.com.
With much love and deep prayers.
Your Baha'i sister,
Julie

Lynne said...

Dear Craig and Susanne,
Love to you from the Neuro Day therapists and nurses. We have been viewing your blog and will continue to keep you in our hearts and prayers.

Warmly,
Lynne and crew