Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Stairway to Heaven, June 12, 2009

As Craig is spending more time in bed, he often sits on the edge of the bed with a wooden TV tray in front of him with his meal. Tonight I pulled in a chair and my own tray and we ate together – baked chicken, dressing, carrots, and potatoes. After dinner we drank tea and ate cookies and talked.

Talking these days is mostly Craig saying single words so I have some idea of what he is thinking about. Then I ask questions that he can answer with “yes” or “no” so I figure out what is on his mind. We got talking about the angels. He motioned with his hand that they were higher than him and on his left side. Pleasant is no longer with him (I asked if he had to go back to work, and Craig said “yes”!). His Dad, Kevin, Janet, Becky, Debbie, Pearl, and now Jet Andrews were there tonight.

I asked if he is seeing the angels in the daytime now or still only at night. He is seeing them at both times, but not all of the time. I asked if he sees them only in his bedroom (“no”) or if he now sees them elsewhere in the house and out in the driveway, where he likes to sit in the sun. He said “yes”. I asked if he had seen anyone famous like Christopher Columbus, and he said “no”. I asked if he had seen ‘Abdu’l-Bahá or his heroes Mulla Husayn or Quddus, and he said “Oh!” “No!” and looked very surprised. I commented that maybe that was why he hadn’t left yet, that he was waiting for them. He said “maybe”. The only people he has recognized with him are friends from the greater Cleveland area who have passed on and his father.

I curled up in the bed next to him for a while. At one point, I was laying watching him and he suddenly stared straight ahead and said “Oh! Stairs!” Through questioning I was able to determine that he was seeing a set of stairs floating in the air, that the angels were wanting him to climb the stairs, that the climbing once he began was “easy”, that he was not afraid, and that the arrival “plaza” that he painted in last Saturday’s painting was at the top of the stairs. He said a couple of times that “they are there in spirit”. I asked if they wanted him there in spirit, too. He responded “yes”. He then had a brief time of confusion where he didn’t understand quite where he was and what I was asking him related to the stairs. He said “this may be the last time I see you”. I asked if he wanted me to call and gather the few people he had said could be at his bedside while he was passing, but he didn’t want that. He just wanted quiet.

We played a lot of music all evening. During the time of the stairs, the song that was playing was a Bahá’í quotation, “O MAN OF TWO VISIONS! Close one eye and open the other. Close one to the world and all that is therein, and open the other to the hallowed beauty of the Beloved. (Bahá’u’lláh, The Persian Hidden Words, #12) Amazing!

There is a prayer Craig has been asking for since Saturday, but we have been totally unable to figure out which one he wants. We decided tonight that the angels could probably help him find it, and he smiled in relief and said “yes”.

We did our normal bedtime routine of changing his clothes and getting him in bed. I now have to use the lift to place him in the bed high enough so that his lungs don’t fill with phlegm. We lay together and listed the “roses” of the day. I cleaned up the kitchen from dinner and then went back in to sing the Healing Prayer with him, which I’d forgotten to do. I said a second prayer as well and kissed him goodnight.

It will be a late night – Medical Services is delivering breathing treatment equipment and medicine to him around midnight in case we need it. The sublime and the practical together...

Love,

Susanne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can hardly express how touching, mystical, and transformative it is to read this. It made me cry and realize again how transitory this material world is. Thanks so much to both of you for sharing this with us. You are both angels yourselves!

Lots of love,
Julie Hutchinson