Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Beginning

In February/March of this year I had 2 episodes of numbness in my right leg. Both times I had be sitting on toilet so I figured it was neural-muscular and began to see a chiropractor. He was able relieve the symptoms and put me on 6 month twice a week program. Intermittent numbness began to creep up my right torso, back of the neck and eye-brow (that really felt wierd) in May/June. Whenever my leg would be numb, I'd walk with a bit of a limp that I kind of just got used to. I reported new symptoms, to the chiroproactor, as they presented themselves and it was clear that he was getting concerned. I had a muscle spasm in my leg late June which subsided relatively quickly. Tuesday, July 17 I had spasming so bad it was difficult to walk. My wife was able to massage it enough that she could get me over to the chiropractor's first thing. As soon as I explained what was going on he said, "I can probably relieve that but you need to get your GP right away for an MRI of your brain and cervical spine." He fully relieved the spasms, I went home, made an appointment with my GP for that afternoon and, since I felt just fine, went to work. When I got to the doctor's, he examined me indicated that the chiropractor was correct. He asked that I call and make the MRI appointment, let them know what facility and they'd take care of the insurance. Wednesday July 18 I felt the same as I had for the last several months so went to work, made calls to the MRI place and the doctor's and was set for an MRI the next day at 9:30 AM. Thursday July 19 I woke up and could only walk using a cane, which fortunately had hanging the hall closet. Neither my wife or I know why. We went to the MRI place where I spent 2 hours in side the noisiest tunnel I'd ever encountered. We were through about noon, the tech handed me an envelop and said, "You're going to need these. You'll get a call real soon. It was about 2 hours later that I got the telephone call noted in the About Me.

3 comments:

Michelle Jenkins said...

Thank you Craig,

What I got from you opened up a new world for me inside of what I am committed to for my mom. As I told Susanne, she was diagnosied with lung cancer. I already have my family's alignment with having this be a time of celebration, fulfillment and peace. I was at a healing seminar last night. It is amazing how many things have come into existence since I took on what I created for my family and my mom. Thank you again for your amazing contribution.

Peace and Love

Michelle

Michelle Jenkins said...

Thank you Craig for the awareness you've provided for me. I am on a journey for the fulfillment of Celebration, fulfillment and peace surrounding my mother's condition. (diagnoised with lung cancer) I already have the alignment of my family. I was at a healing seminar last night. It is amazing that I have taken on being in the gap for my mother and so many things have been presenting themself to me and so much has opened up.

Peace and Love

Michelle Jenkins

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story...

I’d been getting increasingly concerned about Craig, and we had tried a number of approaches. Confusing the matter was my own recent bout with numbness due to sciatica and Vitamin B-6 toxicity. I wondered whether Craig was following in my footsteps. We tend to use a blend of alternative and mainstream healthcare. It’s easy to regret that we didn’t turn to our general practitioner sooner on this one though.

Dr. Cummins had told Craig earlier in the week when he ordered the MRI that a brain tumor was possible. Craig chose to not tell me (he knows I’m a worrier!). So, the call that came in was my first indication of something serious.