Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tuesday August 21

Susanne and I had been waiting until the steroid intake was down to zero in order to have some deep consultation about some of the issues that have come up for her/us around my experience. We recently learned a new listening skill from Hedy Schleiffer that powerfully engages what she calls the relational space that exists between a couple and has the listener come into the speaker’s world in order to fully listen, engage, and learn. We decided to use this technique, and it worked very well. Significant progress was made on a number of issues that I will keep private.

I was talking with Jef McDonough, who is a very accomplished musician, over breakfast Sunday about my desire to get a better grounding in music theory to enhance both my guitar and flute playing. He offered to come by today to provide me with a lesson. We had an excellent session and ended up doing some jazz duets (he on guitar and me on the flute). We invited him to stay for a delicious dinner and had a marvelous further conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

I’ve noticed that I need to keep my emotional responses to what is happening “cleaned up” and not just rattling around in my brain making me nuts. Initially I needed to do it with friends, as Craig couldn’t walk me through stuff. With him off the steroids, he’s back being more of a friend and partner for me…a blessing. Here are some of the things I shared with him.

The stability of our lives and marriage has been shaken up over these weeks. Craig has been my solid and reliable rock for the past 8 years. My husband is now different and will continue to change, both in his personal development and from the effects of any ongoing treatment that occurs. And there’s the big one…what if he dies? I’m experiencing some uncertainty about trusting him to be there for me. That’s scary. I’m also scared about being strong enough to handle this test without sinking repeatedly into fear, anger, and anxiety. I’m really wondering, how do I stay positive?

In observing my own response to Craig’s hospitalization and everything that has accompanied it, I’ve not felt that I was connecting enough with the best spiritual behavior. This morning I took a book about the example of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, a key figure in the Bahá’í Faith. His guidance in the face of tests is to look at them as a gift from God, be radiantly acquiescent, and not slip into dull resignation. He encourages spiritual happiness instead of despondency or anxiety about what occurs in this world. That’s all very difficult to live up to and accomplish! So, I’ve been feeling somewhat of a failure at it. Although I think Craig has been doing pretty well at it . And I can hear my friends and family saying to give myself a break!

I’m used to nurturing my introvert side with lots of quiet, alone time. With time at the hospital, then Craig home, the many calls and visitors, and being Craig’s driver, I’m on emotional overload. We are trying to create at least occasional alone time for me by Craig taking the hospital shuttle to go to physical therapy. And, I am beginning to wonder what I need to do to recharge my batteries… I notice that at times I’m in the mode of feeling like I have to meet Craig’s needs no matter what the impact is on me. That feels somewhat like a dysfunctional pattern from my past, so Craig and I will have to continuously look at how we both stay balanced.

I keep wondering to what extent I’m honestly facing what is occurring, and to what extent I’m running around in denial. Life was going along pretty well in many ways…I’m still feeling somewhat bewildered at all the changes.

Anonymous said...

I've come to think that denial serves a purpose. And, although we don't want to stay there for too long, I think denial buys us some time to absorb, on a subconcious level, things that are too overwhelming to be direct about right away.

Bless you both. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.