Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Near Disaster Post-Op

Prior to the surgery my two daughters, Leah and Michelle, with Michelle’s daughter Karida, told me that they would be coming to town Sunday and Monday to see me. I was delighted to hear this. Leah is 25 and lives in Washington, DC. Michelle is 31 and lives in Dayton with her husband Hooman and 3-year-old Karida. On Saturday of that weekend Michelle, Karida, their mother Lynn traveled to DC for Leah’s graduation ceremony from Massage Therapy School. I had been planning to be there but, obviously had to cancel those plans. They were all then going to drive back to Ohio, Lynn would continue to her home in Indianapolis, and the girls would come to Cleveland.

Because I had witnessed the timing of what occurred after David’s surgery, I had strong expectations of a similar flow for mine. He had surgery on Friday, Intensive Care on Saturday, regular ward room on Sunday. He was then discharged to home on Sunday evening, where Christina already was with their new baby. I got very, very, very attached to doing the same thing so that I could see the girls at home and not in the hospital. I kept saying the words over and over that I was committed to this outcome but not attached. Inside it wasn’t so! Keep in mind that steroids can do some pretty irrational things to your thought processes.

Midday on Sunday Dr. Sloan came to my room for a chat with Susanne and me. We discussed the outcome of the surgery, with which he was very pleased, and I asked about when I was to be discharged. I still needed a walker to get slowly about, but I made it clear I would really like to go home that day. He began to say that discharge that evening was fine, but then Susanne asked him about Craig’s difficulty walking. Dr. Sloan had me get up and walk. When he saw my dragging right foot, he changed course and said it was better for my long-term recovery if they discharged me to an intensive in-patient rehabilitation facility program. I was very upset at having to stay there any longer, but I calmed down and agreed to go along with his recommendation.

When I saw him after surgery for my follow-up visit, I complimented him highly for his ability to so deftly bring a steroid-pumped bull around who was attached to being discharged on Sunday. It would have been a disaster. Although I was fine Sunday evening with the girls and enjoyed Monday afternoon with them and Karida when they returned with David, I was very tired, dehydrated, and eating very little. All night Sunday and Monday I and the nurses were working on major gastro-intestinal issues--I was not sure what was going north and what was going south in my body! I’ll spare you the details (although they were very significant to me at the time!). Between the weakness and exhaustion and the effects of the steroids, if I had been home, Susanne would likely have had to return me to the hospital.

Leah was still in town on Tuesday, and she and our friend Elinore Evans did Jin Shin Jitysu acupressure on me to then ready me for discharge. The staff told me that if I kept breakfast and lunch down, they would let me go. I was successful, and at 4 p.m., the ambulance came and got me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

I was concerned watching Craig set up expectations that his experience would be like his son David’s, when they were quite different in temperament, age, life circumstances, and medical condition. I was glad to see him able to shift into acceptance when it became clear their paths were going to be different.

On Sunday evening, Karida charmed the nurses on the floor as she and I walked around and gave Craig time with his children. The ward clerk gave her stickers and bracelets and provided us with a cherry Popsicle to share in the lounge area. On Monday, we kidnapped Craig off the floor in a wheelchair and had a wonderful time in the gardens. The doctor had approved him going around the hospital, but hadn’t written it in the chart, so the nurses were giving us a hard time about going down to the garden and cafeteria.

It was great having Michelle and Leah in town to help…they divided up my to-do list and got lots done. Michelle was all set to assist me with all the electronic banking and billpaying…unfortunately that Monday morning didn’t work out as planned. I talked to Craig early in the morning, who was babbling incoherently about north, south, and praising God things went south instead of north. I called the nurse who didn’t inspire me with confidence that anyone was paying attention. So, I went to the hospital instead. He’d had breakfast by the time I got there and was able to explain better that he was talking about his digestive system!

Once Dr. Sloan adamantly declared that Craig would be best off in in-patient rehab, I then coordinated it with the social worker for the unit. Once the social worker was clear that the rehab was important, then he was able to work with the insurance company to approve the transfer. I’d gotten used to escaping to the waiting area for a nap while Craig rested in the afternoon. That got missed while we waited on the ambulance. When we got to rehab, they fed Craig dinner. I didn’t then eat or rest until after 8 p.m. And then tried to send emails… Some went out smoothly and some didn’t! Very long and tiring day…