Why am I writing this blog?

Euclid (Cleveland), Ohio, United States
Here I share the amazing spiritual journey I began on July 19, 2007. I received the diagnosis of a golf-ball-sized tumor on top of the left parietal lobe (motor functions) of my brain. I had severe symptoms all up and down the right side of my body and had received an MRI scan of my brain. In August 2007, I learned that my diagnosis was a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). This is a common form of fast-growing brain cancer with a challenging prognosis. That's the external story about that moment in time. In the spiritual world I found (actually more like it found me) what I came to call the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path, and I began an amazing journey. After October of 2008, I lost the use of my right arm, and in early 2009, my cognitive abilities were struggling, and treatment options ended. My wife, Susanne, then began doing most of the blog postings, with my review and input whenever possible. I continued to apply the Fact-Based Spirit-Guided Path as the adventure continued. My soul then flew to the Kingdom of God on July 1, 2009. Thanks for your interest in my journey. Craig

Susanne's Perspective

During this entire journey, my wife, Susanne, had an entirely different kind of experience. Initially she added comments to some of my posts describing her experience of the moments I discussed and offerred perspectives on our relationship. In the latter stage of this journey, she is writing the blog, as I am no longer able to do so. I am truly delighted that she is doing so. Susanne and I work together as marriage educators/relationship coaches and she has written many books on preparing for and strengthening marriages so you can count on her comments to be insightful and poignant.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Saturday August 25 and Sunday August 26

My daughter Michelle and her husband Hooman and 3-year-old daughter Karida arrived late Friday night for the weekend. We spent the weekend mostly relaxing, talking with them, and playing with Karida. Although they have visited often, this visit seemed to have an underlying layer of concern about David and I. It was a wonderful and appreciated visit. Michelle and I spoke about the potential for getting genetic cancer counseling for her and Leah.

For Saturday lunch we went to Chagrin Falls to have lunch with my great-aunt, Jean Taber, and also visited with Ruth Twaddell. In preparing for dinner, Karida and I had a wonderful time peeling corn for dinner.

On Sunday my son David, Christina, and Aidan came over for awhile. Lots of kid talk and playing and a photo of the two grandchildren with their parents.

Throughout the weekend, I was trying to be very conscious of Susanne’s comment from the day before that I “was still going faster (movement and speech sometimes) than before the surgery.” I did see examples of this am making a commitment to myself that I will work to be much more clear and deliberate in my movements and speech. That’s where I really want to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the story…

It was a busy weekend with short snatches of time to talk more deeply with Michelle. And yet, time also seemed to be happening in slow-motion precious snapshots and moments. Craig being a Grandpa is so dear to his heart, and seeing everyone filled him with joy. Craig wanted to go out Saturday evening to get ice cream, but I was so tired after dinner. We sat and talked…I keep wanting to/trying to do everything that seems to make him happy. Sometimes this means I push myself too far or don’t set healthy limits…for both of us. We ended up staying home and relaxing on the porch while the sun set and Michelle, Hooman, and Karida went to visit friends. It ended up being good for both of us, and we still got to the ice cream shop the next day.

Karida got sick on the weekend and David and Christina were still recovering from being sick. I was praying that the benefit of seeing everyone would keep the germs from hitting us. David and Craig will both have ongoing compromised immune systems as their treatments progress…keeping them healthy will be a challenge at times, particularly when family and friends want to spend time with them and vice versa and we head into cold and flu season. Blessedly both he and I stayed healthy after the weekend.